Hardwood flooring is traditionally beautiful, but wood-effect luxury vinyl flooring is very much on the rise right now. Both options can completely transform your home, and both have their own unique benefits. To help you decide between these two great choices, here are our pros and cons for luxury vinyl vs hardwood.
Luxury Vinyl Pros and Cons
A few decades ago, vinyl was considered a cheap and low-quality flooring choice. However, with the rise of new luxury vinyl ranges - also known as LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile) - this couldn't be further from the truth. Luxury vinyl provides all the aesthetic appeal of hardwood flooring, but with a number of added benefits.
- New technology makes wood-look LVT almost indistinguishable from genuine hardwood boards
- 100% waterproof so can be placed in bathrooms
- Scratch and stain Resistant
- Easy to maintain
- Variety of styles (e.g. wood and tile effect)
- Cheaper than hardwood
- Cannot be sanded down in the unlikely event that damage does occur
- Does not have the same all-natural effect as hardwood
Browse all luxury vinyl flooring >
Hardwood Flooring Pros and Cons
Hardwood flooring is timeless, making it one of the preferred choices of flooring for many centuries. And this is not without reason! Hardwood has a multitude of benefits that are hard to match.
- Hardwood Flooring comes in a variety of different styles and tones
- It can be oiled or lacquered to provide different finishes
- If damage occurs, it can be sanded down to restore original state
- Can sustain a heavy footfall
- Can last decades if properly maintained
- Hardwood flooring does not cope well in high-moisture environments such as bathrooms
- Boards can be scratched easily if not lacquered or oiled
- Contributes to deforestation
Browse all solid wood flooring >
Any further questions about your flooring? Feel free to contact us for expert advice from the Floormaker team!